Sunday 4 September 2011

Oh, Brother!


   "Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.  -Marc Brown"

     I remember looking at him, awe-struck, as a kid. He was the coolest elder brother ever. He was perfect. I would listen to the songs he played and sang, and try to make sense of them. I would sit by him as he played the guitar, mesmerized. I would look at his perfect grade sheets, and want to study better. I would look at the dimple on his cheek, and wish I had one too. I would look at him have his way around computers, and how he could fix just about anything. I saw his life, so methodical, perfectly chalked out. He knew what he wanted since he was in school. And I looked at him, moving through life, getting everything he wanted, with so much ease. He was a star. At-least in his little sister's eyes.
    I wonder how children without siblings spent their childhood. Coming to think of it, mine would've been one dry childhood, had it not been for my brother. I distinctly remember every little detail, and the memories never fail to bring a smile to my face.
      Endless memories crop up in my mind as I think of those days, and every memory, no matter how small or insignificant, has my brother with me. It sucks to have the most important person in your life gone away. It is tough to come to terms with not seeing the face you grew up with everyday, with not having someone who seems to be able to fix every problem, with not having someone to fight with you over chocolates and the remote. His yearly visits are just not enough. And the visits show me how much we have grown up, how much we have changed.
    We may have grown up, gotten smarter with age and will probably move on to better things in life. But, I know for a fact, that I would trade everything I have to go back to those days, back to being the adoring little sister, who saw the world in her brother's eyes..

No comments:

Post a Comment